Saturday, March 16, 2013

Brush Cleaning 101

Hello my petals!

Thought I would do a super quick, albeit boring post of our most prized tools - our make up brushes!! Regardless of brand or quality they are something that we reach for when we're blue to help give us that pep in our step, so it's high time we give them a little TLC in return! Make them squeaky clean!

This is something I do at least once a month for my 'powder' brushes and once every two weeks for my 'liquid brushes'. Why is cleaning our make up brushes so important? Well there's three huge reasons!
1) dirty brushes encourage the growth of bacteria (ICK!) which in turn clogs pores increasing the frequency of acne and blackhead breakouts - yuck!
2) cleaning brushes regularly will keep the bristles from drying out and caking together - simply meaning they will last longer
3) cleaner brushes provide a more flawless finish, and a flawless complexion is a winner in my books!

There is a number of brand name 'brush cleaners' out there ranging from the cheap and cheerful to the exorbitantly expensive, but I genuinely feel that there is no need to purchase any of these products! Instead I use Johnson & Johnson's Baby Shampoo! When cleaning my brushes I wet them first before gently lathering with the tiniest amount of shampoo, a little goes a long way here. Rub the bristles between your finger tips and rinse under cold running water in your sink. Using a paper towel lightly rub bristles back and forth checking that all remnants of make up have been cleared, if the towel remains free from stains you're done! (If not repeat the above)

Finally always allow your brushes to dry naturally, tip facing down. This prevents water from settling into the glue that holds the bristles together and this is massively important! Et Voila, you're good to go!

Mwah
xo


No comments:

Post a Comment